Did you know?
- On average, each Canadian household spent $71,360 in 2008 up two per cent from 2007 1
- The average household debt in Canada is 131 per cent of annual household income? 2
- The average household only saves $1000 per year? 2
- One in three people, on average, will be disabled for 90 days or longer at least once before age 65. 3
- The average length of a disability that lasts over 90 days is 2.9 years. 3
- There are an estimated 70,000 heart attacks each year in Canada. That’s one heart attack every seven minutes. 4
- Almost half (43 per cent) of Canadians are concerned about their financial condition at retirement.5
- Canadian households did not experience any particular relative wealth increase in the past two decades. 6
- In 2007, Canadians donated $10 billion to charities. 84 per cent of people over the age of 15 gave a donation to a charity or not-for-profit organization. 7
3 CIA 86-92 Aggregate Table & 1985 Commissioner’s Disability Table A (Experience Table)
7 “Caring Canadians, Involved Canadians: Highlights from the 2007 Canada Survey of Giving, Volunteering and Participating, published by Statistics Canada, 2009, page 11.